November 11, 2012

Writing Tip: 5 signs to recognize that you are a writer

There are several signs for hidden talents that slumber within us. Many of them are awoken since the beginning, like artistic child's that draw pictures since they are born. Some of them build sand castles and become architectures. But there are some signs the need time to develop bit for bit.
Not each of them is recognizable as clear as day. Some need to be discovered by careful observation, but these 5 ones are the most common signs to watch out for. 
[Image by after-the-party]

5 Signs that you are a writer:
1) You need more than 140 letters for writing a message on Twitter.
2) Your cooking receipts begins with the background story of the meat's previous life.
3) On parties you are the one who tells the best stories in a fascinating way.
4) You need your own library for all your million books that you actually read and not just use for showing off.
5) You get the best stories from your two dogs who are possessed by old English writers like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and J.R.R. Tolkien.

If you develop these signs then you probably have a good chance to become a writer, but not a great one. Did you see what could be wrong with the five statements above? Here are the better signs to see if you have what it takes to become a better writer.

5 Signs that you are a great writer.
1) You need no more than 140 letters to write a good message in Twitter, because you can write precisely what you want within the restriction.
2) You will tell the background story of the meats previous life but not as an info dump at the beginning. Instead you will reveal it over the whole cooking receipts to keep it fast paced and interesting.
3) On party you listen to the stories of others and let them inspire your imagination instead of repeating your old ones again and again.
4) You may have read a million books but know the difference between reading one and writing one.
5) You talk with your possessed dogs but you come up with your own creative stories instead of using theirs.

There are many people who think that certain criteria are needed to be a good writer, but in the end what matters are the stories you write. Reading a lot is such a common one. If that would be true than someone who likes to eat becomes the greatest cook, which isn't always the truth.

How did you realize that you want to become a writer? Do you know others repeated ones that are wrong in your opinion?

5 Kommentare:

  1. It's definitely true that reading a lot, in itself and alone, cannot make you a good writer. but I do thing it's definitely to be a good reader without reading a lot. That's the point I, at least, try to make when I talk about how you must read to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for all those typos! I'm only now seeing them. I meant to say: It's definitely true that reading a lot, in itself and alone, cannot make you a good writer. but I do think it's definitely impossible to be a good writer without reading a lot. That's the point I, at least, try to make when I talk about how you must read to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I was a writer when I realized that I had lots of things to say and share and could only share them when I wrote the ideas. It's easier for me to speak to people and express myself in writing than verbally. I a speech impediment when I was a child and once I overcame that I was already able to say what I needed to say on paper. I'm happy when I'm creating new worlds, new people, adventures, drama, romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really relate to you. I'm more the verbally kind, because i can easily add elements like gesture and mimic. Its also quite fast to complete your story than writing it exhaustingly down and correcting it afterwards.

      Delete
  4. Nice read!!! It is a good post to understand How to become a good writer. Thanks for sharing it. I am also a writer and I learn many new things here.

    ReplyDelete