February 8, 2014

Author Interview with Sergeio Pereira

Hi Sergio, first of all, could you tell us a bit about yourself?

Hi Patrick! Well, I’m a 28 year old music journalist/writer/copywriter/pseudo-comedian from Johannesburg, South Africa – no, I don’t have a pet lion or giraffe – with Portuguese heritage. I’m a complete geek – my girlfriend often refers to me as the Fountain of Useless Information – plus, I’m still suffering from Breaking Bad withdrawal, too. 
[Me too, such a great series!]


Why did you start writing?

Originally, I wanted to become a vocalist in a rock band, but everyone quickly discovered that I couldn’t sing to save my life. However, I was told that my lyrics were good, so I took it from there and began experimenting with stories.


What do you think makes your genre special?

Quite simply, it’s the ability to frighten and mess with your mind. Also, the horror genre ensures that it’s Halloween every day.


What do you think makes a great story?

Honesty and conviction. If you’re writing a story for sales, or worrying what people will think of you, you’re doing it for the wrong reasons.


What is your latest book called and could you explain to us in 20 words what it is about?

The book is called Don’t Steal from the Devil, and centres around two criminals who break into a home that’s possessed by a demonic entity.


Which kind of reader do you think will enjoy your book?

I’d say anyone who enjoys a good possession-themed horror. If you’re a fan of The Conjuring and The Exorcist, you’ll love the twists and turns of Don’t Steal from the Devil.


Is it a Standalone, or part of the series? If it's the latter, how long do you think will it go on?

At the moment, it’s a standalone – but the ending does leave an opportunity for a sequel. We’ll see; if the demand for a sequel is high, I’ll write a sequel.


What influenced or inspired you to write it?

I’m the sort of person who only writes when inspired. If I’m not feeling it, I can’t force it. I’d been contemplating writing a horror story for awhile, but I could never figure out an angle or identify something that made me think “wow.” I went ahead and wrote a comedy short story, which I released for free on my website, and the response was phenomenal. Somehow, the feedback inspired me, and being the complete rebel that I am, I decided to write a horror story instead of another comedy.


Why did you choose especially this title? Was it your first choice?

Initially, it was just a working title, but everyone seemed to like it, so it stuck.


What was the most difficult part for you working on your book?

Trying to sleep. Every time I write something, the ideas come to me at whatever time, so I just have to boot up the laptop again and continue. After a while, the screen becomes blurry and you wonder if you’re still writing in English.


Was there a scene that you didn’t want to add or remove in your finished work?

Yes. I had an alternate ending, which was far more happy and peaceful. However, when I realized that I wasn’t writing for Disney, the backspace button was smashed repeatedly.


Do you already know what to do next?

Yes. I will continue to push my horror comedy children’s series, which is in the hands of agents at the moment. Right now? I will eat a sandwich.


Where can we find more about you and your books?

Say hi to me on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads. For all my info and latest happenings, please visit my official site: www.sergiopereira.co.za. Finally, you can purchase Don't Steal from the Devil directly from Amazon for cheap-cheap.


Any last words?

Firstly, thank you to you, Patrick, for this opportunity, and thanks to everyone who has cared. And finally, just remember that art isn’t only about investing in a product, but it’s about investing in YOU and treating yourself to something that’ll inspire. Hopefully, Don’t Steal from the Devil has that influence on whoever reads it.


Don't Steal From The Devil

In the middle of the night, two intruders enter the home of a broken family. Awaiting them is a violent, demonic entity that is hell-bent on dishing out a harsh lesson about vengeance, treachery, immorality, and survival.

Amazon

0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment